Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Raspberry Pi Journal #30

NOOBS 1.3


Rob Bishop of Raspberry Pi foundation just announced recently asking for Beta Testers for the newly crafted NOOBS 1.3

I can see that a lot of work has been done to make it extremely user-friendly and accessible. A very interesting take about it, is the fact that you can easily have multiple OS flavor in one SD card. Therefore, you can have one all-encompassing SD card that is suitable for general, scratch, headless, servers, and so on. This is very big news! An educator can now use just one SD card for teaching different discipline. Very convenient, and thank you for providing this functionality.

I'm ambivalent about it, though. I guess I'm more of the old school tar-ball method. My idea of doing minimal headless server method would be to just install a standard distro, then ruthlessly purge the unnecessary packages. Of course, it'll be done automatically with a script.

Speaking of which, there is still no switch to use external USB hard drive. Considering that SD card do have the very real issue of wear, I think attaching a USB hard drive would be recommended so as to prolong the life of the system. I will see if I can do something about it.

Maybe some script that says: reboot with USB harddrive, and reboot with internal SD card. One button backup/restore would be handy, too. I probably will use rsync on that one.

I currently have a script that I run at the end of the day. I call it "EndOfDay.sh" that back ups my SD card to USB flashdrive, and updates my ToDo List. It's all very messy, so I will have to clean it up further.

No comments:

Post a Comment