Saturday, September 14, 2013

Raspberry Pi Journal #21

Cost of Ownership: Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi has been billed as the low-cost computer. When model A is priced at $25, and Model B is priced at $35, who can blame them? I bought mine at $40, due to mark up, but that's okay.

What I didn't count on, is that I will be getting multiple units. I have in my possesion 3 Model Bs, and 1 Model A. So, I was shopping peripherals last time. I looked at the total: $150. Ouch.

That does not compare with today, though. I actually bought a soldering kit + voltmeter unit because that Adafruit LCD w/ keypad unit comes in a kit!

I'm a dedicated software guy, and I'm buying a soldering kit! Talk about new experiences. So far, I have done back ups, bash scripting, and webcam. I'll be blogging those in the future. But hardware projects? Unthinkable!

Of course, I also purchased Lego Mindstorm EV3 robotic system. That's another $350 down the hatch.

So total purchase? $150+$350+$200, and total is $700! For Raspberry Pi projects. Sigh.

Well, at least that's it. No more hardware that I can think of.

Wait a minute. I have some idea about wiring up some large capacity capacitors so I can have a delayed power off for proper shutdown. Hmmm. I wonder how much those cost? ^_^;



No comments:

Post a Comment