Thursday, August 15, 2013

Raspberry Pi Journal #7

Rob Bishop Roadshow at Boulder Colorado


Rob Bishop from the Foundation is doing Road Show, and today, it's at Solid State Depot in Boulder Colorado. He's pretty nice guy. He talked about how Raspberry Pi comes into being and all.

The going was pretty good. I had fun until about half-hour later when the talks went from "Who has Raspberry Pi?" to "Agabagabagaba". My fault. I forgot to replace the batteries on my hearing aid. Oh, well.

A few people are showcasing their Raspberry Pis, and that's cool. One simply connect his Raspi to a buzzer. Programmed in Python. I asked him which version, and he couldn't tell me. "Whichever version it came with," was his reply. I told him that it comes with two different versions. Or maybe he has only one. Most people there have the old Raspi version, so I don't know. I do know that mine comes with two versions.

Another one connected an Arduino device. It's very interesting in that there's only USB connection, and that's it. So Arduino is both powered by USB and data transfer also only by USB.

There was the camera prototype, and Rob helpfully showed me how to install it. I'm going to get another Raspberry Pi, and camera, and Arduino so I can build a roving robot! It's been my dream of mine for a long time, and it's getting closer to reality.

I also asked him about backing up straight from the device without shutting it down, because, remember, I was rather upset about it. He didn't have a step-by-step, but he did confirm that mmcblk0 is the right device to back.

I forgot to ask if there's a BASIC programming version that is popular in Raspberry Pi.

Back home, I'm doing more experiment with back ups. I think I will partition my card so that /home is mounted on separate partition. I installed gparted, but I have no idea how to use it. I'll get some more SD cards to experiment further.

No comments:

Post a Comment