Sunday, August 4, 2013

Introduction to Simpleton Geek's Journal

Welcome to Simpleton Geek BlogSpot!

For those of you who know me, you know that I am always learning. From the good guy, what to do. From the bad guy, what not to do. I try very hard to acquire new skills. However, school is too slow for me. So, I have been doing a lot of self study and reading a lot of materials from books and on-line guide.

Why "Geek?" Because I'm a geek, and proud of it. Why "Simpleton?" Because, what can I say? I'm a simpleton. Simpleton Geek. If it's not simple, I'm not interested. You know the 20-80 rule? 20% effort results in 80% of productivity? Well, I'm really interested in the 20 that does the 80, and not much more than that.

I have just recently retired from trucking. That was a great experience. I'm thinking of writing a book about it. My Trucking Memoir and how successfully driving a big truck makes you a smart, productive person. In fact, I can say that driving a big truck over the highways helps me tremendously as a computer programmer. Who would've thought? Certainly not me.

I don't believe there will be enough interest in trucking to justify a journal for it, so I won't put it in here. However, as a geek, I will put in the lessons that I have learned over the years. The goal is that hopefully, you can learn from me, in much less time that I spent learning them. I have been very free with teaching others what I have learned since I firmly believe that Knowledge is one of the things you'll have more of, the more you give away. Thus, by giving away as much knowledge as possible, the more I have.

Time, however, works on the opposite principle. Therefore, I have been jealously guarding my time. Time works on the principle, "Use it or lose it." The busier I am, the more time I have. I have been trying to be very busy, indeed! I picked up a few new hobbies.

So, there are several things that I want to chronicle here.
1. Petit Computer
2. Small Basic
3. Processing
4. Raspberry Pi
5. Writing (still undecided)
6. Drawing (still undecided)
7. Guide to Life

Perhaps #7 needs to be explained. Currently, there is an emphasis to raise children with great academic knowledge that basically guarantees that the child will be successful in life. Go to college, get a job, and all that. However, I have seen times and times again, academic achievement did not guarantee success. During my 11 years of truck driving, I have seen many a trucker who is smart and make it, and many a trucker who is stupid, tried to game the system to get ahead, and did not make it. So the key is to be smart, instead of trying to bluff your way in life.

I have seen people with degree from so-called high intellectual occupation including managers, and software engineers. The key point is being smart about it. Don't go to work for a company filled with bad managers! You are who you associate with. If you want to be a winner, work with winners! Size does not matter. These things are obvious, in hindsight. I took quite a number of hits before I learn this. Hopefully, by sharing these things, you don't have to.

Another line of failures is mostly ignorance. I spoke to quite a number of people who is money hungry, to the point of falsifying their log book to make more money. I asked why they would risk their career to do that, and the answer I get was that they are on their last financial leg, and that if they don't do it, they won't make it. I calculated the amount of money they make, and come up with 50% more than I make. And yet, I'm fine. Prospering, even.

So, the guide to life is basically all-encompassing: How to do Personal Finance. How to do Time Management. How to Invest Your Money. How to Achieve Your Goal. How to Retire Comfortably. How to Succeed in Life. Simple things that most people did not learn at school because the goal was to learn Calculus and Differential Equation, but none of the "obvious" things that are only obvious in hindsight, after you suffer the consequences for them.

And I am undecided about the Writing and Drawing, because frankly, it doesn't take much to learn how to write and draw. So, most likely, it will fall under the umbrella of "How to Write" and "How to Draw".

I will also posts some videos how-to, but will only post the link, since YouTube set their videos on AutoPlay, and multiple posts means humongous amount of bandwidth drain.

I hope to post a lot of materials here, and that not all of them consist of Animal Crossing New Leaf postings, of which I have been heavily playing lately. I have expanded my house to max, and will get my Golden Roof tomorrow. Skipping the HHA points from 40K to 400K in one go! No trophy for me. :(

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment