Saturday, August 31, 2013

Raspberry Pi Journal #16

Installing Abiword

Leafpad is fine, if what you're doing is some light word-processor, without any fancy things. If you want to have graphics, though, you need something better. There's open office or Libre office. There's also Abiword and Gnumeric. Let's do the easy way first. Install Abiword!

The first thing I check is to see whether or not Abiword is installed:

which abiword

Not installed. Okay, so let's download the package

sudo apt-get install abiword

It'll go through the installation process, and will put a link on the desktop under Office. I decided to type something and add some graphic to it.




As you can see, AbiWord has multiple fonts, and the ability to add graphic. That's not all. It also has various capabilities, such as HTML markings, and epub export. I have book making ambition, remember? So, this capability is a big deal to me.



I don't have a scanner attached to my Raspberry Pi, yet, and there's no instruction on it. So, I don't plan to add some anytime, soon. I'm happy with my current set up of taking pictures with my 3DS and transfer it via SD card. I do batch transfer, though, so it's not like it's an everyday occurrence.



The printer setup is quite flexible. I'm not sure whether to credit AbiWord for it, or maybe CUPS printer driver. There is an option to print 2 or even 4 pages on one page, and it looks to be quite robust, with various options. I'm pretty happy with it.



And there it is, the double page print. It's quite charming to have, and I like it very much! I think AbiWord should be in everyone's toolbox, assuming you're not running it headless. If you install GUI for work, then you should definitely get AbiWord.

By the way, I eventually did installed Open Office, also known as Libre Office.

which libreoffice

Installing it:

  1. sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
  2. sudo apt-get install libreoffice


I always know it by the openoffice moniker, so imagine my surprise when it installed libre office! Ah, the constant march of progress!



No comments:

Post a Comment