Saturday, August 24, 2013

Raspberry Pi Journal #10

Book Making with Thermal Binder

Last Journal, I showed you how I made some books with laser printer, stapler, and a roll of duck tape. This time, I showed you how I do the same thing, but with a thermal binder.


The model I use is Fellowes Helios 60, which as I understand it, a step up from the cheapest model. This model is more solidly built, and I'm glad I have it. First you turn on the device from the power switch in the back. Then, when you're ready to bind, you push the power button on the front. When the status light turns green, you're ready to bind.



The device has a springy clamp to it. It automatically adjust to the thickness of the binder. It's all very easy and convenient to use.



The device has a chart printed to tell you how long the thermal process should take. It also has a stair-case ruler that lets you slide the binder to see which of the setting should be used. I hardly ever do that since it has automatic sensor on the device.



The binder has 3 strips of glue. Strange that they are along the spine. I thought it would be crisscrossing the spine. But it works fine. I don't have the really thick spine, but I think the thicker the spine, the wider the glue strip in the middle.



The paper must be perfectly aligned! Once I square them, I like to run my finger along the paper to make sure that the paper is one solid block. Then I slip the cover, and run my finger again to make sure. I can't emphasize this enough. Everything must be square. There isn't much glue to bind the paper if a few sheets are misaligned, even by a millimeter.




Once the binder is in place, just hit the OK button. The timer is set automatically. Sometimes, I manually adjust the timer to one level more. It adds 10 seconds to the time.



There's cooling rack in the back of the device. It's really very convenient to use. Sometimes, though, the paper would bend, so it's a good idea to put some solid backing on it. The binding is really tight, and unless the papers are misaligned, it's pretty solid.

I printed a few bound book this way. Mostly some instructional pages. The cover is transparent, so I can print out a cover sheet no problem. Did I say it's convenient? It's very convenient!



No comments:

Post a Comment