Friday, November 6, 2020

DIY Typing Tutor in Bash

 


So, when somehow the 10fastfingers.com broke on me, I was left with no good way to practice typing. Well, I decided to write my own. Using BASH. That's shell scripting. 

I learned quite a bit about shell scripting, but there's more to do still. The biggest problem is not the coding. Actually, the biggest time sink is the design. I'm on my third design and still going on. 

The whole scripts is only about 4K. So, recreating this should only take an enjoyable afternoon. There's some advanced manipulation there, though.

Since this is done on Raspberry pi, I use pdftotext to extract texts to create my dictionary.  Turns out it's relatively quick, even on my RaspiZero. 100 most popular Project Gutenberg texts, however, took about 20 minutes to process all dictionary, the longest being top 100, 200 most common words.

I will update this later. I got some ideas about vt100 terminal cursor manipulation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment